turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I report these expenses as a deduction on Schedule C even though the licenses/certifications were necessary for both jobs?

I have both W2 income (my main source of income) and a small amount of 1099 income in 2017 from a small business that I started towards the end of the year. Both the W2 job and the 1099 job require the same licenses and certifications, which I paid for out of pocket and were not reimbursed. Can I report these expenses as a deduction on Schedule C even though the licenses/certifications were necessary for both jobs?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Carl
Level 15

Can I report these expenses as a deduction on Schedule C even though the licenses/certifications were necessary for both jobs?

You can deduct the percentage of the licensing/fees paid for the business, that applies to the business. Since you need the certification for both the W-2 and SCH C work, claiming it all on the SCH C could raise eyebrows. I doubt it would. but it "could".

The the remainder should be claimed under the Deductions & Credits tab in the "Job related expenses" section.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies