turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kloneill

Can I get rid of the Qualified Business Income Deduction on my return?I do not qualify for it.

I am positive I do not qualify for it.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Can I get rid of the Qualified Business Income Deduction on my return?I do not qualify for it.

You probably do qualify for QBI.  While it is a "gray area" of the code, a rental activity is generally considered to be a rental that qualifies as "a trade or business under Section 162" if it is a for-profit venture.  While, as I mention, there is gray area involved, court cases have indicated that even a single rental can be for-profit when it is being rented at a fair rental value in the area.

Yes, the IRS printed the safe-harbor regulations you refer to with your comment.  But even if your rental does not fall under the category of the safe-harbor regulations, your rental can (and probably does) pass the test as a "qualifying trade or business under Section 162).  

In other words, if you have reported your rental on Schedule E, with allowable deductions and depreciation taken, and you still have an income, you should feel reasonably confident that you may take the QBI deduction.  What would not qualify is something like a below-market rental such as a rental to a close relative.  

Feel free to comment if you still feel you shouldn't take the deduction.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

It depends.  What items are showing up that are calculating for the deduction?  Do you have a 1099-DIV statement with box 5 filled in?
kloneill

No 1099-DIV  I am thinking it must be some question I answered about a rental property.  Im going to review those.
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

That's fine.  Why do you believe you don't qualify to receive QBI?
kloneill

Because we have one rental property and don't spend time on it.
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

You probably do qualify for QBI.  While it is a "gray area" of the code, a rental activity is generally considered to be a rental that qualifies as "a trade or business under Section 162" if it is a for-profit venture.  While, as I mention, there is gray area involved, court cases have indicated that even a single rental can be for-profit when it is being rented at a fair rental value in the area.

Yes, the IRS printed the safe-harbor regulations you refer to with your comment.  But even if your rental does not fall under the category of the safe-harbor regulations, your rental can (and probably does) pass the test as a "qualifying trade or business under Section 162).  

In other words, if you have reported your rental on Schedule E, with allowable deductions and depreciation taken, and you still have an income, you should feel reasonably confident that you may take the QBI deduction.  What would not qualify is something like a below-market rental such as a rental to a close relative.  

Feel free to comment if you still feel you shouldn't take the deduction.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies