turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

steven322

Can I file 1041 using turbotax live for my living trust?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

"Can I file 1041 using turbotax live for my living trust?"

Living trusts are virtually always grantor trusts and, as such, are disregarded entities for federal income tax purposes. Therefore, you can report income, gain, etc., directly on your personal income tax return.

Note that if you have obtained an EIN for the trust and have elected to choose an optional method for reporting on a 1041, then you need to use TurboTax Business.

TurboTax Business is capable of preparing a 1041 for a grantor trust, but is not capable of preparing a personal income tax return. Further, TurboTax Business is not available Online nor is there a Mac version; it must be installed and run in a Windows environment on your PC.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

"Can I file 1041 using turbotax live for my living trust?"

Living trusts are virtually always grantor trusts and, as such, are disregarded entities for federal income tax purposes. Therefore, you can report income, gain, etc., directly on your personal income tax return.

Note that if you have obtained an EIN for the trust and have elected to choose an optional method for reporting on a 1041, then you need to use TurboTax Business.

TurboTax Business is capable of preparing a 1041 for a grantor trust, but is not capable of preparing a personal income tax return. Further, TurboTax Business is not available Online nor is there a Mac version; it must be installed and run in a Windows environment on your PC.

I think OP is asking if "TT Live" can be used.

OK. From what I know about TT Live, they do not prepare returns for entities which would include, I have to presume, a 1041 for even something like a grantor trust with an EIN.

On the other hand, if the taxpayer can report information for the RLT (grantor trust) on his/her personal income tax return, I can't see why the taxpayer could not use TT Live.

@karst4 wrote:

Yes, you can use Turbotax Live to file a 1041.

TurboTax Live does not support the preparation and filing of a 1041; only individual income tax returns.

See https://turbotax.intuit.com/lp/ppc/1271?srqs=null&cid=ppc_gg_b_stan_all_na_turbotax-live_ty21-bu2-sb...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies