turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I change the ownership percentages for a S-Corp in the middle of a tax year?

This year, I filed form 2553 so that beginning with tax year 2017, my LLC will be taxed as a S-Corp with the IRS.  On the form, I put the ownership percentages as me the sole owner.  However, since then, another member has joined as a co-owner. 

We want to take profit distributions (i.e. owner's draws) this year, which are not subject to payroll taxes, but since he is not currently listed as an owner with the IRS, I don't think we can do that.  Is there a way we can still do so?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Can I change the ownership percentages for a S-Corp in the middle of a tax year?

I highly suggest you find a qualified tax preparer and/or bookkeeper to get the paperwork in order since this can be a messy situation to compute.  And I hope you are taking a reasonable salary in addition to the draws because if you are not the IRS can penalize you severely so seek professional help to get your books in order and complete at least the first corporate return.

Yes, taking "reasonable salary."  Can anyone else answer my question?

Yes, you can do that.  It will be all reported on the corporate tax return.

I agree with Critter.  In my opinion it is foolish for a new corporation to not use a good tax professional.  Doing things wrong can easily cost you thousands of dollars.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies