mariedelus

Can I add my $700 business computer as both depreciation asset and business expenses? Or either or?

MaryK1

You cannot claim both depreciation and business expense- however, in the TurboTax entry, you enter it as an asset and it should qualify for 179 in which case you deduct as a expense (it has to be reported as an asset but you get the business expense deduction) or bonus depreciation (which has the same effect).  So- technically it is an asset, but it may be treated as an expense.

mariedelus

Thank you for your response; can you tell me which way gives me the biggest deduction because I do not see the total of all my assets; I just see the depreciation cost which is much smaller.
MaryK1

After you enter the info, it should prompt you if you want to take it as an expense or bonus depreciation amount- if you did not see it edit the entry and go through again.  Let me know if you don't see it.
mariedelus

Would you happen to know which way will provide me with a bigger deduction:  expense or bonus depreciation?
mariedelus

The next question is "Do You Want to Deduct this item? Spread the deduction over several years or Deduct all or part of the item's value this year?
mariedelus

It then show:  Your Asset Summary
mariedelus

Finally return back to the Asset area so I can add other asset
mariedelus

As a final, final, it take you to "current year depreciation report"
MaryK1

So the question Deduct all or part of the item's value will allow you to expense
mariedelus

Thank you very much for your help.
MaryK1

You are welcome.