Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Still need to file? Our experts can get your taxes done right. Get started >
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Returning Member

Business Pandemic Unemployment

I received unemployment through my small business as a pandemic relief. I received a 1099-G from unemployment. Do I include my unemployment on my schedule C as income or under the unemployment tab? 

3 Replies
Expert Alumni

Business Pandemic Unemployment

Your unemployment benefits are taxable and have to be reported on your tax return. But you do not include them on Schedule C.


You can enter your form 1099-G by following these steps:

  1. In TurboTax, open your tax return
  2. Click on Federal in the left-hand column, then on Income & Expenses on top of the screen
  3. Scroll down to All Income, locate the section Unemployment and click on Show more
  4. Click Start next to Unemployment and Paid Family Leave.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Returning Member

Business Pandemic Unemployment

In home & business i don't see what your saying. So I don't know where to put my 1099G?

There is no federal tab on the left.

Expert Alumni

Business Pandemic Unemployment

To enter your 1099-G reporting unemployment, use these steps:

  • On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “unemployment” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to unemployment
  • Click on the blue “Jump to unemployment” link to get started


Here are some helpful tips to consider when entering your information reporting unemployment:  

  •  If you had state taxes withheld from your unemployment, but there is not a state ID number on your form, then use the Federal ID number in box 10b.
  • If you did not have any state taxes withheld, then leave all the boxes blank (boxes 10a, 10b, and 11).  This includes the dropdown box for the state name.
  • If anything is entered in box 10a, 10b, or 11, then all of them must be filled in to avoid an error condition causing you to review the entry.  


**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies