Brit in Brazil
Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Brit in Brazil

Not sure if I'm in the right place but hoping I can get some guidance,
I'm a UK citizen, moved to Brazil in 2018 to live with my wife.  I'm currently earning under the threshold for Brazil and haven't had to file any taxes.  However, I'm planning to register my new business and will need to start noting income.
I have no idea where to start.
It's not a physical business, all online.

Should I register business in BR or UK?
Should I pay tax in BR or UK?
Should I pay myself into BR bank or UK bank?

In the UK, HMRC have been onto me as I have a student loan.  They're asking for my employment status but I can't give them one.. I can't say I'm unemployed cos I'm not.  It's a grey area.
So, to the UK gov I'm just floating around in mid-air.
Any help would be much appreciated!

2 Replies
Level 15
Level 15

Brit in Brazil

Sorry, but you're not in the right place. This forum is for United States income taxes only. We can't help you with Brazil taxes or business registration, or your UK student loan.


Level 11

Brit in Brazil

While I agree with @rjs, since you are a UK citizen, you need to somehow get in contact with a UK qualified accountant or chartered accountant.  

Just based on your initial facts, contacting a UK professional that understands UK tax law and working in a foreign country is critical.  Doubtful anyone in Brazil will understand this, unless you go to a large professional accounting firm.

Logistics may be an issue, but it is what it is.  Contacting someone sooner rather than later will be beneficial as I am sure there are penalties for late filings, etc.

Don't be penny wise, pound foolish.  

*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.*
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings