turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099 and K1 lead to reporting twice?

I received a K-1 for an investment, but the same investment is also listed on my 1099 from my broker.

When I fill out the K1 information in turbo tax, I end up entering my gain/loss. 

Then turbotax appears to treat it as two separate assets/sales, once under the k1 and once under the 1099. 

Anyone know how to do this so I don't have to pay double tax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Assuming you've got everything entered properly and the only issue is that the sale is reported twice, (with the same "proceeds" but with different gain/loss amounts, presumably), then simply delete the 1099-B entry by going back to the "Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other" interview and deleting that trade.

Tom Young

Thank you!
Anonymous
Not applicable

was the investment a publicly traded partnership? if so the 1099 is wrong as to basis and is should be in the section basis not reported to irs.  along with k-1 there should be a separate worksheet to calculate your gain/loss on sale including any ordinary income recapture.  substitute the basis from the worksheet so your capital gain/loss is correct.  check final k-1 (if you sold all) on k-1 worksheet. any the box that applies   then click on the quickzoom icon to  enter disposal info.  another window will open complete part II   read the note below #4 

however, i can't give you difinitive instructions of how or where to show ordinary gain.     it supposed to appear on 4797 part II line 10.   and then there's the question as to whether or not this is QBI.  

Thank you! Having a hard time following this. It is a publicly traded partnership. It sounds like the 1099 is the issue and I should be following the K1?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies