When attempting to install TurboTax for Windows, you may get the message TurboTax installation has encountered an unrecoverable error.
Possible causes include:
- Interference from security or backup software
- Damaged or missing fonts.
Before you try the steps below, first disable your firewall and antivirus software and any other programs running before installing TurboTax. If disabling or closing all running programs didn't work, try restoring your fonts.
If you still have problems:
- Uninstall and then reinstall the .NET Framework.
- Install TurboTax.
- When you get to the installation screen How Do You Want to Get Updates? choose I want to get updates on my own.
- You'll be able to initiate updates any time by choosing Check for Updates from the TurboTax Online menu.
- Should the message Error creating firewall rules appear, follow the procedure in the article Troubleshooting Problems with the Microsoft .NET Framework and then try installing again.
If you're still experiencing this error and are trying to install from a CD, contact us for further assistance.