I filed my 2018 taxes before the Taxpayer Certaint...

United States of AmericaEnglishEN

Pick a language

CanadaEnglish CanadaFrançais
TurboTax Help
Intuit

I filed my 2018 taxes before the Taxpayer Certainty and Disaster Tax Relief Act of 2019 passed, do I need to amend?

The Taxpayer Certainty and Disaster Tax Relief Act of 2019 extended several tax benefits to apply to 2018. The bill was passed by Congress and signed into law in December of 2019, after many taxpayers had already filed their 2018 tax year returns.

Amending your 2018 taxes is optional, but if you're expecting a refund as a result of the Act, you can amend your return and claim the refund. You have 3 years from the date you filed your 2018 return (or 2 years after you paid the tax due, whichever is later) to file the amendment.

These credits and deductions were extended retroactively to 2018

• You can claim Mortgage Debt Exclusion/canceled debt on main home
    • If you already filed your tax return and reported mortgage forgiveness on your main home (Form 1099-C).
  • You can claim Mortgage Insurance, MIP/PMI (on first or second home)
    • If your AGI is under $54,500 for married filing separately or $109,000 for everyone else, and you’re itemizing or would itemize by including your MIP/PMI.
  • You can claim the Tuition and Fees Deduction (for qualifying education expenses)
    • If your AGI is under $80,000 for single/head of household or under $160,000 if you’re married filing jointly, and if it benefits you more than – or you didn’t qualify for – the American Opportunity Credit or Lifetime Learning Credit.
  • You can claim energy credits if you have (one or more)
    • Residential Energy Credits (includes $500 Energy-efficient Home Improvement credit and Geothermal/Small Wind Residential Energy credit)
    • The Two-wheel Plug-in Electric Vehicle Credit
    • The Alternative Motor Vehicle Credit
    • The Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit