Intuit
,Created with Sketch.23 helpful votes

How do I amend my 2017 taxes to claim energy credits?

The Bipartisan Budget Act of 2018 extended several energy credits to apply to tax year 2017. The bill was passed by Congress and signed into law in February of 2018 after many of our customers had already filed their 2017 taxes. If you already filed you can amend to claim these benefits.

You can choose to amend and claim:

• Residential Energy CreditsForm 5695 instructions
    • Allows for a credit up to 30 percent of the cost of qualified property.
    • The $500 Energy-efficient Home Improvement Tax Credit
      • A $500 (10% of the amount paid) tax credit for making energy-efficient home improvements like new windows or upgraded heating/AC equipment.
    • The Geothermal and Small Wind Residential Energy Tax Credit
      • For 2017, the credit is 30% of the cost.
  • The Two-wheel Plug-in Electric Vehicle CreditForm 8936 instructions
    • A 10% tax credit up to $2,500.
  • The Alternative Motor Vehicle CreditForm 8910 instructions
    • Applies to fuel cell vehicles that also meet make, model and model year certification requirements.
  • The Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property CreditForm 8911 instructions
    • The maximum credit for individuals is the lesser of $1,000 or 30 percent of the installation cost.

Keep in mind: You have 3 years from the date you filed your 2017 return (or 2 years after you paid the tax due, whichever is later) to file an amended return, which means you don't have to get it done by the April 17 filing deadline. More info

1. Sign in to your account.
  2. Scroll down to under Your tax returns & documents and select Amend (change) return, then Start amending my 2017 return.
  3. Select I was contacted by TurboTax and told I may need to amend due to the tax extenders in the Bipartisan Budget Act as the reason you’re amending and Continue. (Even if you weren’t contacted by us, this option will help if amending for a tax extender.)
  4. Choose Continue and answer the questions that follow.
  5. On the screen named, Did you own a home in 2017? choose, I paid for an installed energy-efficient improvements on my home. Continue through the process.
  6. When you've finished, we'll tell you how to print and mail your amended return, since amendments can’t be e-filed.

1. Open the return you want to amend.
  2. Before you go further, make sure your return is exactly as it was when you originally filed it.
    • If you made changes after you filed or mailed, undo them. We suggest comparing your onscreen numbers with a paper copy of your filed return.
  3. Now, make an "amend" copy your return by selecting Save As (Mac - select Duplicate) from the File menu. This preserves the originally-filed return.
    • Name the copy to distinguish it from the original (for example, 2017 Amended Smith B Form 1040 Return).
  4. You should now be working in the amend copy. Inside your program, search for amend and then select the Jump to link in the search results.
  5. On the We'll help you change (amend) your return screen, select Continue.
  6. On the next screen, answer “Yes” and select the “I was contacted by TurboTax…” option. (Even if you weren’t contacted by us, this option will help if amending for a tax extender.)
  7. Go through the screens and answer the questions.
  8. Then, on the screen named Did you own a home in 2017? choose, I paid for an installed energy-efficient improvements on my home. Enter your information and continue through the process.
  9. When you’ve finished, we'll tell you how to print and mail your amended return, since amendments can’t be e-filed.

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
Intuit TurboTax - Finish filing and get your maximum refund, guaranteed.

Ready to Try TurboTax?

Returning? Sign in