English EN

Pick a language

Canada English Canada Français
TurboTax Help
Intuit

How do I amend my 2020 return?

First, make sure you really need to amend and that your 2020 return was accepted in TurboTax Online or paper-filed through the mail. You can't amend a return that hasn't been filed yet.

When you're ready to amend, find your situation below and follow the instructions.

1. Sign in to TurboTax.
  2. Scroll down to Your tax returns and documents, select 2020, then Amend (change) your return.
    1. If you only see the option to amend 2019 or earlier, it's because you can't amend an unfiled 2020 return. Instead, select Pick up where you left off so you can make any changes before you file.
  3. Carefully follow the instructions. Don't worry if your refund changes to $0. This is normal for amended returns.
  1. Make sure you’ve mailed your original return and that you’ve either received your refund or the IRS has taken payment out of your account. (The IRS will only accept a 1040X, or amended return, if your original 1040 was accepted.)
  2. Open TurboTax.
  3. Select Amend a filed return.
  4. Select the return you want to amend, and follow the instructions to make your changes.
  5. Now, make an "amend" copy your return by selecting Save As (Mac: select Duplicate) from the File menu. This preserves the originally-filed return.
  6. Name the copy to distinguish it from the original, like 2020 Amended Smith B Form 1040 Return.
  7. You should now be working inside the copy you'll be amending. Inside your program, search for amend and then click the Jump to link.
  8. Select Continue on the We'll help you change (amend) your return screen.
  9. On the following screen, Did you already file your return? select Yes, I've already filed my return and then select I need to amend my 2020 return.
  10. Select Continue and then carefully follow the instructions to amend.

Don't worry if your refund meter drops to 0; this is normal. Your calculations will come out correctly in the end.

Finish and file your amendment according to the instructions. You can e-file your 2020 amended federal tax return, but most states require amendments to be printed and filed by mail.

If e-filing, you’ll review and transmit your federal return. If not, we'll give you instructions to print and mail your amended return.

3 weeks after mailing your amended federal return, you can start tracking it at the IRS Where's My Amended Return? site. Allow at least 16 weeks for the IRS to process your amended return.

Processing times for amended state returns vary from state to state. If it's been more than 12 weeks since you mailed your amended state return, and you haven't heard anything, we suggest you contact your state tax agency.

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post