Make sure you've saved a copy of your original 2015 return, either as a PDF or paper printout, before you start the amend process (just in case you need to backtrack).
- Open the return you want to amend in your TurboTax software program.
- Make sure your return is exactly as it was when you originally filed it.
- If you made any changes after you e-filed or mailed, undo them. We suggest comparing your onscreen numbers with a paper copy of your filed return.
- Now, make a copy your return by selecting Save As (or Duplicate in Mac) from the File menu.
- You'll be renaming and amending this copy. This preserves your original return "as is," in case you make an error on the amendment and need to start again.
- Give the copy a distinctive name to distinguish from the originally-filed one (e.g., 2015 Amended Return) before you click Save.
- In your program, search for amend and then click "Jump to" link in the search results.
- Carefully follow the on-screen instructions to amend your 2015 return.
- Don't worry if your refund meter drops to 0 and does strange things while you're amending; this is normal. Your calculations will come out correctly in the end.
- Continue following the onscreen instructions. When finished, TurboTax will give you instructions for printing and mailing your amended return, as amendments cannot be e-filed.
3 weeks after mailing your amended return, you can start tracking it at the IRS Where's My Amended Return? tracking tool. Please allow at least 16 weeks for the IRS to process your amended return.
Processing times for amended state returns vary from state to state. If it's been more than 12 weeks since you mailed your amended state return, and you haven't heard anything, we suggest you contact your state tax agency.