turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mmjr

Understanding my taxes

I just finished using the free version of turbo tax to file.

it says I have xxx money due for 2018, xxx money owed for federal, and xxx returning to me from state. 

Questions I have:
1. What does it mean when it says there are taxes due for 2018, I thought there was just state/federal. where is this third number coming from, I have never seen that before.

2. The E-file for federal has been accepted and state is pending. the site never took me to an IRS website after like E-file does. Is that normal?

3. How do I owe xxx taxes due for 2018, it doesnt give a reason or insight as to why I have something that doesn't fall under state/federal and I am confused. Do I need to pay that on top of what I am paying to federal? Is that goes to state or federal? If so, how do I pay that?

4. If I never got my refund from last year from state, but I gave the federal what I owed, how do I get that back?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
PaulaM
Employee Tax Expert

Understanding my taxes

1. Where are you see that? Is it your federal balance due minus your state refund for a net amount? 

2.Yes, it is normal. If your federal return has been accepted that means it is being processed.

3. When you filed your return did you say you would mail a check or did you have it debited from your bank account?

4.You will need to check with your state revenue department if you did not receive a refund from them.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies