turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

AMENDED (1040X) on 4/8/18. Turbo Tax printed out several forms along with the 1040X. WHICH of these forms am I to attach?

I'm confused what forms get attached to the 1040X form.  Turbo Tax printed out the following forms and I'm wondering if they are ALL supposed to be attached and mailed with the 1040X:

1) 1040X

2) 1040 (a change was made from the original 1040 showing what the correct refund amount should have been)

3) "Electronic Postmark - Certification of Electronic Filing" because I e-filed the original 1040.  Is this form for my purposes (to keep on file) or to be sent to the IRS for their purposes of tracking down the ORIGINAL 1040 that has now been corrected???

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

AMENDED (1040X) on 4/8/18. Turbo Tax printed out several forms along with the 1040X. WHICH of these forms am I to attach?

You need to send only the forms that changed plus you would send a copy of any new W2s or 1099s if you were adding those items.

(1)  Form 1040X - this definitely gets sent.

(2)  Form 1040 (new version) - ok, this one you are likely going to see differing answers out there and both are really correct.  Some will say you don't need to send the new Form 1040 because Form 1040X replaces that form and you are sending the Form 1040X.  Some will say you do need to send it because the 1040X instructions tell you to send any form that has changed and this one will have changed.  Many people never send it and are never asked for it, but it really doesn't hurt to send the new Form 1040 just to be thorough and avoid any possibility you may have to deal with the IRS again.

(3)  Postmark - Do NOT send.

Also, you need to send copies of any other form or schedule that has changed - i.e. if you added an itemized deduction like mortgage insurance, you would need to include a copy of the Schedule A or if you added an education credit you would include a copy of Form 8863.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

You need to send only the forms that changed plus you would send a copy of any new W2s or 1099s if you were adding those items.

(1)  Form 1040X - this definitely gets sent.

(2)  Form 1040 (new version) - ok, this one you are likely going to see differing answers out there and both are really correct.  Some will say you don't need to send the new Form 1040 because Form 1040X replaces that form and you are sending the Form 1040X.  Some will say you do need to send it because the 1040X instructions tell you to send any form that has changed and this one will have changed.  Many people never send it and are never asked for it, but it really doesn't hurt to send the new Form 1040 just to be thorough and avoid any possibility you may have to deal with the IRS again.

(3)  Postmark - Do NOT send.

Also, you need to send copies of any other form or schedule that has changed - i.e. if you added an itemized deduction like mortgage insurance, you would need to include a copy of the Schedule A or if you added an education credit you would include a copy of Form 8863.

THANK YOU!  The change to the Amended was a change in one of my charitable giving receipts.  I read the receipt wrong as $1000 but was actually $539, therefore my Charitable Deductions was reduced by $461.  WHAT form would I include to show that?  Thanks!

You're welcome.  So, that would also be your Schedule A for itemized deductions.  So, print out (if it already didn't) the new copy of that form and include it.  And, if that was the only change, then that will be the only additional form you should need besides the above.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies