turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

falk1

Do I have 7 years to amend returns for K-1 income never received when company closed?

I owned 5% of a S Corp that reported K-1 income of $178,000 from 2011-2014.  The company closed in 2015 and I just received a letter from the Trustee that after liquidation there is no money left to pay the balance in my capital account.  I paid approximately $30,000 in taxes on those K-1 statements.  I'm beyond the 3 years 1040X for normal amendments but as a business loss I understand I can go back 7 years.  Do I have 7 years or 3 years to amend?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Do I have 7 years to amend returns for K-1 income never received when company closed?

You need to go to a local tax professional to get help here.

You don't go back and amend prior years' income tax returns for "K-1 income never received when company closed."  S Corps are "pass through" entities and pass through to the shareholders each shareholder's appropriate amount of the S Corp's activities for reporting on their personal income tax returns.  The reporting goes on irrespective of any cash the S Corp might distribute to shareholders.   

Broadly speaking, income and losses "passed through" to shareholders either increases a shareholder's basis, (income), or decreases a shareholder's basis, (losses).  In the same vein, any additional contributions that the shareholders make to the S Corp increase their basis, while distributions to the shareholders decreases their basis.

See https://www.irs.gov/es/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/s-corporation-stock-and-debt-basis

What you have at this point is a long term capital loss, recognizable in 2017.

Take your 5 years' worth of Schedule K-1's to a local CPA or other competent help and have them assist you here.

Tom Young

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You need to go to a local tax professional to get help here.

You don't go back and amend prior years' income tax returns for "K-1 income never received when company closed."  S Corps are "pass through" entities and pass through to the shareholders each shareholder's appropriate amount of the S Corp's activities for reporting on their personal income tax returns.  The reporting goes on irrespective of any cash the S Corp might distribute to shareholders.   

Broadly speaking, income and losses "passed through" to shareholders either increases a shareholder's basis, (income), or decreases a shareholder's basis, (losses).  In the same vein, any additional contributions that the shareholders make to the S Corp increase their basis, while distributions to the shareholders decreases their basis.

See https://www.irs.gov/es/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/s-corporation-stock-and-debt-basis

What you have at this point is a long term capital loss, recognizable in 2017.

Take your 5 years' worth of Schedule K-1's to a local CPA or other competent help and have them assist you here.

Tom Young

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies