turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MrsH

I just received a corrected W-2 that included an amount from box 12 C. It is a very small amount. Do I need to file an amended return since I have already filed my return?

The letter I received with it stated that it was for group-term life insurance.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DDollar
Expert Alumni

I just received a corrected W-2 that included an amount from box 12 C. It is a very small amount. Do I need to file an amended return since I have already filed my return?

You do not need to file an amended return.  Code C in Box 12 is Taxable cost of group-term life insurance over $50,000.  That amount is included in your Box 1 wages.  Adding the code to your return won't change your return.  Moreover, the information is reported to IRS by your employer.  There is a remote possibility the IRS will contact you by mail regarding this.  If so, you will be able to respond by mail and resolve it.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DDollar
Expert Alumni

You do not need to file an amended return.  Code C in Box 12 is Taxable cost of group-term life insurance over $50,000.  That amount is included in your Box 1 wages.  Adding the code to your return won't change your return.  Moreover, the information is reported to IRS by your employer.  There is a remote possibility the IRS will contact you by mail regarding this.  If so, you will be able to respond by mail and resolve it.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies