turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Interest from the foreign account got missed out in my tax filing during last 2 years ..amendment or - PLEASE help !!!

Hello, I have interest from foreign account which got missed in my tax filing during last 2 years as I never got 1099 like form. Was not aware of FBAR form either. The principal which earned interest was originated from US only and full tax was paid on principal. Can I simply file an amendment of my last 2 years taxes or anything more required? Can IRS penalize me if I simply file amendments? I am not sure how this is different if I missed one 1099 from a US bank. 

When I googled..folks are talking about Streamlined Filing Compliance Procedures. That involves penalty 5% on entire balance and much more. I am so confused and sleepless as this is my hard earned money. I paid taxes every year and ready to pay missing reported interest. PLEASE PLEASE HELP!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IsabellaG
Employee Tax Expert

Interest from the foreign account got missed out in my tax filing during last 2 years ..amendment or - PLEASE help !!!

You definitely need to amend the returns for the years that you left off this interest. 

And you need to file the FBARs if you are required to. Here is a link to the IRS website, which indicates that you may not be penalized if you reported all your taxable income and you haven't already been contacted by the IRS about the delinquent FBARS. https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/Delinquent-FBAR-Submission-Procedures

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
IsabellaG
Employee Tax Expert

You definitely need to amend the returns for the years that you left off this interest. 

And you need to file the FBARs if you are required to. Here is a link to the IRS website, which indicates that you may not be penalized if you reported all your taxable income and you haven't already been contacted by the IRS about the delinquent FBARS. https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/Delinquent-FBAR-Submission-Procedures

Hello, First thanks much for your reply.  A) Would adding 15K interest in amended returm likely to trigger audit, penalties or any red flag? Please advise.
 B) per link above...<<The IRS will not impose a penalty for the failure to file the delinquent FBARs if you properly reported on your U.S. tax returns, and paid all tax on, the income from the foreign financial accounts reported on the delinquent FBARs>> My original return did not have interest. I assume, they must be referring to amended returns too.
IsabellaG
Employee Tax Expert

I can't say that it would/wouldn't trigger an audit, but you will definitely pay interest on the balance due. I'd include a statement with my 1040X that you didn't realize the interest was taxable. There are possible penalties<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/irm/part8/irm_08-017-007.html">https://www.irs.gov/irm/part8/irm_08-017-007.html...> , but the main point is to file the amendments and the FBARs as soon as possible, before the IRS contacts you about this issue.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies