Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can my parents claim my 3 year on their taxes when I have split custody with his father and its my year to claim my on?

I am 28 years old and living with my parents. They can't claim me I know on their taxes because I made more than 4500 last year. But they are saying that they can claim my 3 year old son because they can show that they provide more than 50% of the care for him. I.E just food and housing. I paid for his diapers and medical expenses. My question is can they actually claim him even though I have split custody with the child's father. Meaning we alternate years on who claims him on their taxes and this is my year to claim him.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Ashby

Can my parents claim my 3 year on their taxes when I have split custody with his father and its my year to claim my on?

I see no issue on this. Look at it more as his year not to claim your son. If your parents make more than you do and provide more than 50% of your son's support, they can claim him.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Ashby

I see no issue on this. Look at it more as his year not to claim your son. If your parents make more than you do and provide more than 50% of your son's support, they can claim him.

You could try preparing tax returns with you claiming your child and with your parents claiming him to see which works out best for your family.  With the amount of income you mentioned earning your EIC and additional child tax credit amount to "about" $1800.  It could be better for your parents to claim him--and they may have a pretty strong case for saying they paid over half his support since they provided food and housing.

What does "financially support another person" mean?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies