turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When I file my 2017 tax return, I might have to pay the state. If I do will I still get my full federal refund? I do not owe any back taxes.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SherekaB

When I file my 2017 tax return, I might have to pay the state. If I do will I still get my full federal refund? I do not owe any back taxes.

Yes, you would still get your full Federal refund as long as you do not owe anything to Federal. If they were back taxes that could be a different situation if the IRS has been notified. You would file your State tax and send that payment to State by the Tax Due date ( April 17, 2018).

View solution in original post

7 Replies
SherekaB

Yes, you would still get your full Federal refund as long as you do not owe anything to Federal. If they were back taxes that could be a different situation if the IRS has been notified. You would file your State tax and send that payment to State by the Tax Due date ( April 17, 2018).

But I can still use my federal tax return for whatever I want like catching up on rent and utilities?
SherekaB

Yes, your Federal refund is yours. Be sure to take care of your State taxes or reach out to your State Revenue office before the deadline.

Oh yes I definitely will.

Penalties for late payment to the state can add up quickly to a much larger payment due.
But, I guess the rent is important too.

I’m aware of this. I don’t even know if I owe yet. I’m asking theoretically in case I do.

I’m aware of this. I don’t even know if I owe yet. I’m asking theoretically in case I do.
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies