turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am a California resident living in WA, I filed my income that I made in WA but accidentally put I am a resident of WA, how can I fix my file to say I am from CA?

I am a student living in Washington but I am a registered resident of California. when filing I accidentally said I was a resident of Washington. The IRS knows I am from California because they have my California address as well as my California drivers license on record. I already submitted my file, is there some way to change this error because now it looks like I was trying to evade my California resident tax which is going to be a minuscule amount anyway. I am happy to pay that tax, I just made an error when filing. Just trying to avoid future troubles. Any help is much appreciated, thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I am a California resident living in WA, I filed my income that I made in WA but accidentally put I am a resident of WA, how can I fix my file to say I am from CA?

Yes, you can fix this by filing an amended California return to claim the correct residency.  Here is an FAQ to assist you with filing a state amended return:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4653469

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can fix this by filing an amended California return to claim the correct residency.  Here is an FAQ to assist you with filing a state amended return:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4653469

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies