turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mina0207

Can I revise 2016 tax. I didn't add sales tax deduction when I filed 2016 tax last year. I didn't know that I could add sales tax I paid for grocery, or any other goods.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I revise 2016 tax. I didn't add sales tax deduction when I filed 2016 tax last year. I didn't know that I could add sales tax I paid for grocery, or any other goods.

Yes, you can amend. It may not make a difference in your refund.

If you took the standard deduction or maxed out your itemized deduction this will not help you.

But, to find out, log in. Choose your 2016 return.

Go to Amend, then inside your 2016 return go to Deductions & Credits and then to Sales tax. Add your state's sales tax and watch the refund amount to see if it changes.

If it changes and you think it's worth amending, proceed with the amendment and mail your amendment to the IRS.

Click or tap a tax year for specific amending instructions.

Click the link below for your state and then your city/county to find your sales tax rate that you should enter into TurboTax.

http://www.sale-tax.com/

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Yes, you can amend. It may not make a difference in your refund.

If you took the standard deduction or maxed out your itemized deduction this will not help you.

But, to find out, log in. Choose your 2016 return.

Go to Amend, then inside your 2016 return go to Deductions & Credits and then to Sales tax. Add your state's sales tax and watch the refund amount to see if it changes.

If it changes and you think it's worth amending, proceed with the amendment and mail your amendment to the IRS.

Click or tap a tax year for specific amending instructions.

Click the link below for your state and then your city/county to find your sales tax rate that you should enter into TurboTax.

http://www.sale-tax.com/

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies