turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Judi453
Returning Member

I cannot reconstruct the amount shown for income taxes paid. Where can I see how Turbo Tax arrived at Total Income taxes paid?

I have added the amounts shown for federal income tax withheld on each form filed with the IRS, but cannot come up with the same total as Turbo Tax. Isn't there a way to see details of what makes up the total?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I cannot reconstruct the amount shown for income taxes paid. Where can I see how Turbo Tax arrived at Total Income taxes paid?

Yes, if you scroll down past the Tax Breaks page on the Deductions and Credits screen to the Estimated and Other Taxes Paid.  Click Show More.  Then select Income Taxes Paid.  You will see a blue link that will give you a breakdown of the actual number.  See screenshots

But, that number summarizes ALL of the taxes you have paid either directly or through withholdings on Forms such as W2s, 1099s, etc for both your federal and state returns.  For example, that number would include both of your Federal and state withholdings.  It can also include local taxes, refunds applied to this year's taxes from a prior year, balances due from prior years that were paid in this year, and payments made with any extension you might file.

While it shows under Deductions and Credits, it’s actually just a summary number and not necessarily related to any particular deduction (some of it is not even a deduction - i.e. federal taxes withheld on your federal return).  

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Yes, if you scroll down past the Tax Breaks page on the Deductions and Credits screen to the Estimated and Other Taxes Paid.  Click Show More.  Then select Income Taxes Paid.  You will see a blue link that will give you a breakdown of the actual number.  See screenshots

But, that number summarizes ALL of the taxes you have paid either directly or through withholdings on Forms such as W2s, 1099s, etc for both your federal and state returns.  For example, that number would include both of your Federal and state withholdings.  It can also include local taxes, refunds applied to this year's taxes from a prior year, balances due from prior years that were paid in this year, and payments made with any extension you might file.

While it shows under Deductions and Credits, it’s actually just a summary number and not necessarily related to any particular deduction (some of it is not even a deduction - i.e. federal taxes withheld on your federal return).  
Judi453
Returning Member

Thank you so much TurboTaxAnthony!! I was able to answer my question with your help.

You're welcome!  I know that section leads to a lot of questions because it combines so many items from different areas of your return.  Glad you were able to get the information you needed.
Rgardner

This does not say show more and open a link-I paid estimated tax and the total tax is correct-when I reviewed the estimated tax area the number is missing-when i entered the correct number it now doubled the tax that I have paid already-Turbo Tax is becoming more difficult to work with as they make enhancements (crappy enhancements) to the software

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies