turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Wrong routing number for direct deposit, called bank with the routing number. They don’t see my refund amount anywhere

I put down the wrong routing on my tax return. I called the bank with the routing number I used (luckily it’s just a different branch location) gave them my refund amount and the date it was sent to them and they didn’t see it. I double checked the routing I used and made sure that it was their routing number and it is. My fiance’ Used the same routing number as me and her refund is being sent by mail now, but mine doesn’t show that. Anyone know how to figure out where my money is if the bank can’t find it being sent to them, but it was the routing number used? They told me any deposits that don’t match up to an account there gets rejected as well and I told them my account number and they said that there isn’t one there with that number. So I would assume it would of been rejected by now. The refund was sent on the 22nd of Feb and it’s now Feb 28. Please help

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
WillK
Intuit Alumni

Wrong routing number for direct deposit, called bank with the routing number. They don’t see my refund amount anywhere

Best course of action is for you to contact the IRS and speak to a tax representative and see if they got the refund returned to them. If so, they should issue you a check and they can let you know if they did, or when they plan on doing so. If they didn't get the refund back yet, then can assist you as to what your next steps should be to make sure you get your refund. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Should I contact the IRS if it hasn’t been 21 calendar days yet since I e filed? That’s the only reason I haven’t called them yet is everywhere I look it says they can’t really help until it’s past 21 days after you e filed
Lpyebra

Ok so y'all say to contact the IRS, but NO ONE ANSWERS JUST AUTOMATED. DO YOU HAVE A NYMBER WHERE THEY WOULD ANSWER???

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

@claptonvapes77

Yes, you can reach out if it has been longer than 21 days since your return has been Accepted.  For more information on this, please see the Help Article here.  

@Lpyebra

Please try the steps below which should allow you to get to a live agent with the IRS:

IRS: 800-829-1040  

Hours: 7 AM - 7 PM, local time 

Monday-Friday

• Listen to each menu before making the selection.
  • First choose your language. Press 1 for English.
  • Then do NOT choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
  • Instead, press 2 for "personal income tax".
  • Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  
  • Then press 3 "for all other questions."
  • Then press 2 "for all other questions."  It should then transfer you to an agent.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Lpyebra

I tried all those steps and still NOTHING!

BrandiLO1
Intuit Alumni

Please click here for more information regarding what to do if you entered incorrect banking information and how the IRS handles this situation. 

" If they didn't get the refund back yet, then can assist you as to what your next steps should be to make sure you get your refund. "

IRS doesn't get the refund back if the bank rejects it in the first place.

it the bank keeps it, IRS will not help you in this situation you are on your own.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies