Would I be able to completely reverse the depreciation claim on my house if I amend my 2015 tax return and not claim an itemized home office deduction?

In last year's tax return (2015) I claimed a home office with itemized expenses. It triggered depreciation on my house with capital gains taxes on the future sale of my home. In the future I would prefer to either file the simple home office deduction (since there is no depreciation concern) or not claim a home office at all. 

Also, for this year I earned income working 100% at home but received W2s for it (not 1099 MISC or cash). I cannot find an option to list W2s as income from working at home. Is that because W2 employees cannot claim a home office?

Thank you for your help!

Coleen3

Yes, you can amend and undo the home office and depreciation. You can also take a home office as an employee but it is subject to stricter rules and it has to be for the employer's convenience, not your own. Since the deduction carries to Schedule A anyway, your deductions for home mortgage interest and property taxes go on the normal entries as personal expenses. The deduction is also subject to a 2% of AGI floor, meaning you may not get much of a deduction.

1. Open your return, if you haven't already done so.
  2. Inside TurboTax, search for home office, employee (use this exact phrase, including the comma and space) and then click the "Jump to" link in the search results.
  3. Enter your occupation and proceed.
  4. When you get to the Did you have home office expenses? screen, answer Yes and continue.

We'll ask a series of questions about your home office size, usage, etc. to determine if you qualify for the deduction and for how much.

Coleen3

3. Enter your occupation and proceed.

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing