turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

zythym

Without the risk meter, how am I confident that my return is sound? This is the 1st time I had several new items.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ToddL

Without the risk meter, how am I confident that my return is sound? This is the 1st time I had several new items.

The Federal and State Reviews in TurboTax are what checks your return for accuracy and completeness ("soundness") of your tax return.

The Audit Risk Meter didn't check for accuracy or completeness, it just identified certain forms and tax items that the IRS had historically subjected to additional scrutiny because of their potential for error, abuse or under-reporting.

Even at that, the IRS randomly reviews a small percentage of returns regardless of audit risk. In addition, the IRS's focus on audit risk factors changes periodically and is not made public.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ToddL

The Federal and State Reviews in TurboTax are what checks your return for accuracy and completeness ("soundness") of your tax return.

The Audit Risk Meter didn't check for accuracy or completeness, it just identified certain forms and tax items that the IRS had historically subjected to additional scrutiny because of their potential for error, abuse or under-reporting.

Even at that, the IRS randomly reviews a small percentage of returns regardless of audit risk. In addition, the IRS's focus on audit risk factors changes periodically and is not made public.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies