turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Will I still be able to amend my tax return if I still have a balance with the IRS?

I have a NRA spouse who did not have a SSN while I filed my 2018 taxes. So, I filed as Married Filing Separately, which resulted in me owing the IRS. She now has a SSN, and now I would like to file as Married Filing Jointly, which if filed, will result in me receiving a refund. My question is, since I still have a balance from the taxes I filed as MFS with the IRS. Am I able to amend my taxes? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Will I still be able to amend my tax return if I still have a balance with the IRS?

Yes, you can amend the 2018 tax return to change your filing status from MFS to MFJ and also amend if the taxes owed have not been paid.

If the taxes owed were not paid with the original tax return then the entry on the Form 1040X Line 16 should NOT include the taxes owed from the original tax return.

When adding your spouse to the amended return you must also include all their world-wide income, US and Foreign, if any.

If taxes are owed on the amended return the amount will be shown on Line 20.  If there is a tax refund it will be shown on Line 21.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a 2018 tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-a-return-in-turbotax/01/27579

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies