turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why is What-if worksheet pre-filling in Recovery Rebate Credit for 2021, and incorrectly?

I am using the What-if worksheet to get an estimate of my 2021 taxes, checking the box "use 2021 tax rates".  There is a new line toward the end, Recovery Rebate Credit.  I think Turbotax should leave it blank since the credit only applies to tax year 2020.  Additionally, it doesn't seem to be aware of the current adjusted gross income cap, it is using the eligibility for the first stimulus (e.g., $200k for married couple, with reduction for above $150k).

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Why is What-if worksheet pre-filling in Recovery Rebate Credit for 2021, and incorrectly?

No. There will be a 2021 Recovery Rebate Credit to reconcile the third stimulus payment. This is for taxpayers who, based on their 2021 tax return, would receive a larger third stimulus payment than what they received during the year. 

Depending on what your adjusted gross income (AGI) will be on your 2021 tax return, you may be eligible for a credit if you have not received a third stimulus payment and your married filing joint AGI is below $160,000. 

Questions and Answers about the Third Economic Impact Payment — Topic H: Reconciling on Your 2021 Ta...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

No. There will be a 2021 Recovery Rebate Credit to reconcile the third stimulus payment. This is for taxpayers who, based on their 2021 tax return, would receive a larger third stimulus payment than what they received during the year. 

Depending on what your adjusted gross income (AGI) will be on your 2021 tax return, you may be eligible for a credit if you have not received a third stimulus payment and your married filing joint AGI is below $160,000. 

Questions and Answers about the Third Economic Impact Payment — Topic H: Reconciling on Your 2021 Ta...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the info about the credit still being active on the 2021 return for those people who have not received any or all of their stimulus payment, or should have had a larger one.  I received all three payments based on my 2019 return.  I don't qualify based on my 2020 AGI (probably why Turbotax did not query me about it when working on the return).  I will not qualify either based on my projected 2021 AGI, so I will ignore the calculated Recovery credit on my What-if worksheet.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies