Why is the tax due amount different when starting the amend process before I've actually amended anything?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've filed my taxes already and they were accepted. However, when I go back to look at amending, without changing a single thing yet, the taxes due shown on the top are already different (in this case, they're up).

Why aren't they the same as when I had filed my taxes?

Does amending automatically increase your taxes?

It doesn't make sense that the amounts due are different without changing anything yet.

Unless you actually choose to amend, the taxes due shown on the top shouldn't change.

When you amend, your tax due at the top should reset to zero, so you can enter your new info.

I'm wondering if you actually did file your original return?  If your tax due is still there, you may have just added to your liability?

Anonymous
Not applicable

When I check the status of my return for both federal and state, the return status for both is listed as "accepted". It also lists the amount at the top for taxes due that I paid when I filed which I verified in my bank account.

The second I click on "amend" though, while federal is $0, the state taxes due is $600+.

which state?
Anonymous
Not applicable

California