Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikewill757

Why is my state being deducted from my total federal return, but I am still asked to have it debit from my checking account?

2 Replies
SweetieJean
Level 15

Why is my state being deducted from my total federal return, but I am still asked to have it debit from my checking account?

State taxes due cannot be deducted from a Federal refund.

SteamTrain
Level 15

...Probably the Turbotax state "Software Fees" are being deducted from Fed refund....if that's what the Taxpayer chose.

But, as you note...the state Taxes Due must actually come directly from the taxpayer.

@mikewill757 ....be careful when reading that State payment info and directions....most states will require you to go to their state website to do the direct debit...only a few let you set that up Direct Debit from within the tax file itself. So it depends on what state you are filing.
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.

3.48m
Members

2.6m
Discussions

Manage cookies
v