turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mhogan88

Why is it taking so long to process my refund from federal and state?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Were your returns accepted? Accepted means that you passed the basic identity verification with the IRS.  Once your return gets accepted then only the IRS knows when they will issue your refund.  TurboTax does not get any more information after your return has been accepted.  Since the IRS did not open their filing system until 2/12/21, they are busy & it can take longer for your return to be processed.  If your return includes EIC, then the IRS states that in the beginning of March they should be issuing refunds.  States vary as to when they issue refunds.

Once your returns have been accepted, the IRS states that nine out of 10 e-filed tax returns with direct deposit will be processed within 21 days of IRS e-file acceptanceMailed paper returns: If you filed a paper return, please allow 4 weeks before checking the status. Refund processing time is 6 to 8 weeks from the date the IRS receives your tax return.

Also:  The EIC/Additional EIC was not processed with the IRS until later in Feb., so it would be longer than the 21 days since you filed early.

From the IRS:

If you claimed the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) or the Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC), you can expect to get your refund by the first week of March if:

Additionally, your financial institution may need time to accept your direct deposit or issue a debit card. Many institutions don’t process payments on weekends or holidays. So, if you file early, be aware of federal and local holidays that may affect how soon you get your refund.

You can checked the IRS website Where's My Refund for your information?

https://www.irs.gov/refunds

Please note that the IRS website, Where's My Refund, has not been updating as it should, so you might have your refund in your bank account even though there is no update to the IRS website.  It happened to my son, his deposit was in his bank account even though the IRS website still showed received.. So you might want to check your bank account.

---------------------------------------------

How do I track my state refund?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/refund-status/help/how-do-i-track-my-state-refund/00/25571

Is be a hole week n still nothing I did my taxes on the 9 wat is going on

SamS1
Expert Alumni

Depends but probably just delayed.  Did you have unemployment benefits. So to not have to process thousands of amended returns, if you had unemployment benefits the IRS could be holding your return for processing once their systems are updated for the American Rescue Plan Act that excludes the first $10,200 of unemployment benefits if your adjusted gross income is less than $150,000.   

If you have earned income credit and/or additional child tax credit, it is probably delayed. Returns with either of these credits are covered under the PATH act, which gives the IRS authority to delay the refund to verify dependent information on your return. For 2020, the IRS was not issuing refunds for these returns until the 1st week of March. 

Do you have any refund offsets such as back taxes, student loans, child support, state obligations (Court costs), etc. This could delay your refund and you will receive a letter indicating the change.

If you answered the stimulus questions incorrectly, this will delay your refund.  If you claimed the Recovery Rebate credit on your return, the IRS is matching stimulus payments to returns with the Recovery Rebate credit.  If there is a mismatch, you will be receiving a letter.

Keep checking IRS.gov "Where's my Refund" for the most up to date information.

Check here also for more information on refund delays.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies