Does the IRS "Where's My Refund" tool, say that your return is still being processed?
If so, here's how to reach a live agent at the IRS to inquire about it:
800-829-1040 (7AM-7 PM local time) Monday-Friday
When calling the IRS do not choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
- First choose your language. Then listen to each menu before making the selection.
- Then press 2 for "personal income tax".
- Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".
- Then press 3 "for all other questions."
- Then press 2 "for all other questions."
- It may then ask for your SSN, but do not enter it. Just wait. If it asks for SSN a second time, still do not enter it.
- Then you'll get another menu. Choose 2 for "personal" then you should be transferred.
I usually use a speakerphone so I can work on something else while waiting.
If you don't get good info/results from the IRS, you can contact the IRS Taxpayer Advocate for your area. They are especially prone to help if you have an economic hardship, or if there have been continued delays with lack of info from the IRS. At the following IRS website, find the USA map and click on your state, and it will give you the number of your IRS Taxpayer Advocate.
Also see this article for more info on how the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service works::