turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why didn't Turbo Tax ask for the prior years state refund and why didn't the error check catch this? Do I now need to file an an amended return?

I helped my adult daughter file her federal return. After sending in her return, I then noticed last years refund was never asked for.   

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

Why didn't Turbo Tax ask for the prior years state refund and why didn't the error check catch this? Do I now need to file an an amended return?

No, you don't need to file an amended return.  Some states require last year's refund amount or AGI to e-file.  Some (most) don't.  The IRS requires last year's AGI. 

If TurboTax did not ask for it, it was not required.  If it was required and it was not entered, the return would be rejected.  If your return gets rejected for missing information, you can add the information and resubmit.

If her return(s) got accepted, she is done!  To verify the status of her federal and state returns, go here.  Online E-file Lookup Tool   And if anything was rejected, add the missing info and resubmit.  

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

No, you don't need to file an amended return.  Some states require last year's refund amount or AGI to e-file.  Some (most) don't.  The IRS requires last year's AGI. 

If TurboTax did not ask for it, it was not required.  If it was required and it was not entered, the return would be rejected.  If your return gets rejected for missing information, you can add the information and resubmit.

If her return(s) got accepted, she is done!  To verify the status of her federal and state returns, go here.  Online E-file Lookup Tool   And if anything was rejected, add the missing info and resubmit.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies