turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why did it take out taxes out of my refund?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

What?  Were you expecting to get everything you saw in box 2 of your W-2 back as a tax refund?  It does not always work that way.  If you had a tax liability you only get back the difference between the amount you owed for 2019 tax and the amount withheld.  There are many factors involved--your filing status, your income, the amount withheld, whether you have dependents...etc. etc. etc.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

3 Replies

What?  Were you expecting to get everything you saw in box 2 of your W-2 back as a tax refund?  It does not always work that way.  If you had a tax liability you only get back the difference between the amount you owed for 2019 tax and the amount withheld.  There are many factors involved--your filing status, your income, the amount withheld, whether you have dependents...etc. etc. etc.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Are you talking about the fees?  You can have the fees deducted from a federal refund and there is an extra 39.99 Refund Processing Service charge (44.99 in California) for that.

Or are you seeing the net amount of federal and state?  At the end Turbo Tax shows you the combined amount.  But you will still get the full refund and need to pay any tax due yourself.

Okay okay new to this your reply was very helpful thank you !!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies