Why did Intuit show an alert that I paid too much ...

Why did Intuit show an alert that I paid too much in SS tax? It said to contact my employer to req a refund & a corrected W2. But my employer said there was no error.

Employee TurboTax Specialist

For steps to resolve this issue, please click here to view a thread resolved by Tonita that fits your situation. 

There are 2 different situations when it will say Employer may have paid too much Social Security. It's saying either 1 employer took out too much SS -OR- that you paid too much SS because you had more than 1 employer. This should cover both.

For 2019, If you had more than one employer and the total of box 4 (only box 4 not box 6) on all your 2019 W2s for Social Security is more than $8,239.80 you get the excess back on your tax return. And it is for each spouse separately, not combined.   If only one employer took out more than $8,239.80 you have to get the difference back from that employer and get a corrected W2 form.

Or check W2 box 12. You may have entered Code A by mistake.

Check boxes 3 & 4 on your W2. Box 4 should be 6.2% of box 3 up to a max of $8,239.80. So take the amount in box 3 and multiply it by .062. If box 4 is more than that you need to get a corrected W2 from your employer. But also go back and double check your W2 entries, you may have entered box 3 & 4 wrong. A lot of people who have asked this found they did enter an amount wrong.

A sure way to fix this is to delete the W2 and re-enter it. That may clear something out.  Or post back with the amounts from boxes 3 & 4.