turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hhodaa

Why can't I file my taxes for free like previous years?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

You are posting from the DELUXE version which is NOT FREE .....

You can view your fees by clicking on the "Tax Tools" option on your left menu bar, then choose "Tools", then "My Fees". If you feel your fees are not correct, please click on the "Help with My Fees" option at the bottom of the "My Turbo Tax Fees" screen for suggestions on how to reduce your fees.

Have you tried the IRS FREE FILE option for a totally free fed & state returns ???

Here's how Free File works:

1. Go to gov/freefile to see all Free File options.

2. Browse each of the 10 offers or use a "look up" tool to help you find the right product. Each Free File partner sets its own eligibility standards generally based on income, age and state residency. But if your adjusted gross income was $69,000 or less, you will find at least one free product to use. Two products are in Spanish.
  3. Select a provider and follow the links to their web page to begin your tax return.
  4. Complete and e-file your tax return only if you have all the income and deduction records you need. The fastest way to get a refund is by filing electronically and selecting direct deposit. If you owe, use direct pay or electronic options.

You do not have to be EITC eligible in order to qualify for Free File. Any individual or married couple that meets the income limitation can qualify. First-time filers or college students are key users. Military personnel who meet the income requirement can use any of nine partner products. And seniors who want to file the new Form 1040-SR because they are over 65 and taking the standard deduction also can use Free File.

Remember, if you meet the income requirement you will find at least one free online product. To avoid fees for state tax returns, look for a partner that offers free state tax return preparation or check out your state's tax agency website to see if they are members of the State Free File program.

hhodaa

Thanks, how do I change from Dolux to a free version?

There are 2 free versions. In the regular Turbo Tax Free Edition, information that you can enter is limited now.  Why do I have to upgrade from the Free Edition?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/upgrading/help/why-do-i-have-to-upgrade-from-free-edition/00/26379

To go back to a lower version or the Free Edition you can try to clear and start over https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-clear-and-start-over-in-turbotax-onli...

OR There is also The Turbo Tax Free File program which is free for federal and state.  And has more forms than the Federal Free Edition, like Schedules A, B, C , D, E, F, EIC, H, K-1, SE,  etc.

To qualify for the Free File website  you just need to meet one of these 3 things
AGI $36,000 or less
Active duty military with AGI of $69,000 or less
OR qualify for EIC (earned income credit.)

In order to use the Free File program, you have to start it at a special website. Try signing in at the top right
https://freefile.intuit.com/

Taxes1095

Why can’t I file my taxes for free 

Taxes1095

I’m been asked for payment at the end.

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

Depending on what forms you are filing, you might be required to upgrade the version of TurboTax.  For more information on this, please see the Help Article here.  

@Taxes1095

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies