turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where’s my federal tax return

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

33 Replies

You asked:  "Where’s my federal tax return?"

You said "return", so are you unable to find and retrieve (download/print) a copy of your Federal return you filed from your Online account?

Or are you asking about a Federal tax refund and worded your question wrong? 

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

The IRS expects to issue most refunds in less than 21 days after being accepted. Turbotax gives an estimated date based on the IRS's 21 day timeframe. So it all depends on the IRS and how fast your tax return moves along in the system. TurboTax does not receive any updates from the IRS.

When will I get my IRS tax refund?

Taxpayers who claim the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) or the Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC) may experience a refund hold. The IRS usually begins issuing tax refunds on returns with the EIC or Additional Child Tax Credit in late February.

Some 2019 federal refunds are delayed due to the PATH Act

To track your Federal refund, visit the Where’s My Federal Refund? site  You may also download the IRS2Go app to check your Federal refund status

Note: You will need your social security number, filing status, and refund amount in order to track your refund.

If your return is still pending and not accepted yet by the IRS, you will need to wait until it's accepted to check the status on the IRS website. Be sure when checking Where’s My Federal Refund? site that you are entering only your Federal refund amount. This can be found on your Federal form 1040, line 21a. Also if you paid any fees out of your federal refund, use the refund figure prior to the deduction of he fees.

You can track the status of your state return by following the directions in the following TurboTax FAQ.

How do I track my state refund?

Why do some refunds take longer than others?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Where is my federal tax return

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

If your return was accepted less than 21 days ago, hang in there. It can take anywhere from a few days to 3 weeks to go from acceptance to approval. Continue to track your status using the Where's My Refund? tool at the IRS website which updates daily.

When will I get my IRS tax refund? - Community

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

is there Anyway to to track my return ? 

@rhinoron90804 wrote:

is there Anyway to to track my return ? 

The IRS says 9 out of 10 filers who efile and choose direct deposit will get their Federal refunds within 21 days after being accepted. Some returns are processed fairly quickly, while others require additional processing due to specific items in the return. Some are pulled at random for more thorough investigation.

If you efiled, you should double-check to be sure the return was efiled successfully and accepted.
If you used Online TurboTax, you can sign into your Online Account and check the efile status at the Tax Home.

If that showed it was accepted, you can use the "Where's My Refund" tool at the IRS website below to monitor the status of your Federal refund.  
https://www.irs.gov/Refunds

TIPS when using the IRS WMR tool:

• Be sure you have waited at least 24 hours after acceptance before using the IRS WMR tool.  Or if you filed a paper return in postal mail, wait at least 4 weeks before using it.
  • Be sure you enter the correct SSN and filing status.
  • Be sure you are using only the Federal refund amount.   Do not include any state refund or any total refund or net refund (Fed and State) that TurboTax may have provided on a screen.  
  • Also be sure you are using the Federal amount before any TurboTax fees are taken out (if you chose that option.)
  • Look at your actual Federal return to get the Federal refund amount, i.e., your Form 1040, Line 35a.
  • You can also try phoning the IRS refund hotline.  I've seen it work for some users when the WMR tool didn't.  800-829-1954

To track a state refund:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/refund-status/help/how-do-i-track-my-state-refund/00/25571

I have received my state tax but not my federal it was accepted February 8th well over 21 days why have I not received it. Question two I would appreciate it if my fees were taken out of my account when the money is not there because I haven't received my federal

@Urbancowboy8180 wrote:

I have received my state tax but not my federal it was accepted February 8th well over 21 days why have I not received it. Question two I would appreciate it if my fees were taken out of my account when the money is not there because I haven't received my federal

What is displayed at the IRS "Where's My Refund" tool?

https://www.irs.gov/refunds

If it says your return is "still being processed", we can tell you how to try to phone the IRS if you wish to ask them about the delay.

For the second question, did you leave something out?   Did you leave out a "not"?     Did you get an email from TurboTax saying they were going to auto-debit your bank account for your fees?    If they say your account is about to be debited, you should phone TurboTax Support right away and see if you can work something out, or you can pay by credit/debit card before they submit the auto-debit.   Depending on your debit date, it might be too late.   This is a user community forum and nothing account-specific can be handled here.

FAQ: What is the TurboTax phone number?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

FAQ:  Why was my bank account auto-debited for the TurboTax fees?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/charges-and-fees/help/why-was-my-bank-account-auto-debited-for-tur...

adelwsayegh
Returning Member

my federal tax return 2020

adelwsayegh
Returning Member

unable to find and retrieve (download/print) a copy of your Federal return you filed from your Online account?

@adelwsayegh wrote:

unable to find and retrieve (download/print) a copy of your Federal return you filed from your Online account?

You have to sign onto your 2020 online account using the exact same user ID you used to create the 2020 online account.

Close all TurboTax windows on your web browser (including this one).  Copy and paste the account recovery website link onto a new web browser window and run the tool.

Use this TurboTax account recovery website to get a list of all the user ID's for an email address.  Run the tool against any email addresses you may have used - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/account-recovery

If none of the user ID's received will access your 2020 account, then use the option shown in blue on the account recovery website, "Try something else"

If you used the desktop CD/Download editions installed on your computer, the only copy of your tax data file and any PDF's will be on the computer where the return was created.  TurboTax does not store online any returns completed using the desktop editions.

To access your prior year tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and on the section Your tax returns & documents.  Click on the Year and Click on Download/print return (PDF)

When am i getting my federal tax money ?

@Markgibbs  wrote:

When am i getting my federal tax money ?

Did you e-file your tax return and was it accepted?
Only the IRS and your State control when and if a Federal or State tax refund is Approved and Issued.

You complete your tax return by finishing all 3 Steps in the File section. In Step 3, to e-file your tax return, you must click on the large Orange button labeled "Transmit my returns now".

After completing the File section and e-filing your tax return you will receive two emails from TurboTax. The first email when your tax return was transmitted and the second email when the tax return has either been accepted or rejected.

Note - Once a tax return has been Accepted by the IRS or a State, TurboTax receives no further information concerning the tax return or the status of any tax refund.  Only the taxpayer listed on the tax return can obtain the status of a tax refund or a tax return.

To check the status of an e-filed return, open up your desktop product or log into your TurboTax Online Account. You can find your status within the TurboTax product.
If accepted by the IRS use the federal tax refund website to check the refund status - https://www.irs.gov/refunds
If accepted by the state use this TurboTax support FAQ to check the state tax refund status - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

After the tax return has been Accepted by the IRS (meaning only that they received the return) it will be in the Processing mode until the tax refund has been Approved and then an Issue Date will be available on the IRS website.

The IRS is severely backlogged in processing tax returns this year.  It is taking from 6 months and longer to start the process.

Go to this IRS website for the status of filed tax returns - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

As of July 22, 2022, we had 10.5 million unprocessed individual tax year 2021 returns. Of these, 1.7 million returns require error correction or other special handling, and 8.8 million are paper returns waiting to be reviewed and processed. This work does not typically require us to correspond with taxpayers but does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund and in some cases this work could take 90 to 120 days. If a correction is made to any Recovery Rebate Credit, Child Tax Credit, Earned Income Tax Credit or Additional Child Tax Credit claimed on the return, the IRS will send taxpayers an explanation. Taxpayers are encouraged to continue to check Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions.

How long you may have to wait: The IRS understands the importance of timely processing of tax returns and refund issuance. We have processed all error free returns received prior to January 2022 and continue to work the returns that need to be manually reviewed due to errors. We are continuing to reroute tax returns and taxpayer correspondence from locations that are behind to locations where more staff is available, and we are taking other actions to minimize any delays. Tax returns are opened and processed in the order received. As the return is processed, whether it was filed electronically or on paper, it may be delayed because it has a mistake including errors concerning the Recovery Rebate Credit and the Child Tax Credit, is missing information, or there is suspected identity theft or fraud. If we can fix it without contacting you, we will. If we need more information or need you to verify that it was you who sent the tax return, we will write you a letter. The resolution of these issues could take 90 to 120 days depending on how quickly and accurately you respond, and the ability of IRS staff trained and working under social distancing requirements to complete the processing of your return.

What you should do: In most instances, no further action is needed but you may check Where’s My Refund? or you can view your account. If you filed electronically and received an acknowledgement, you do not need to take any further action other than promptly responding to any requests for information. If you filed on paper, check Where’s My Refund? If it tells you we have received your return or are processing or reviewing it, we are processing your return, but it may be under review. If you filed before January 2022 and Where’s My Refund? does not have any information, your return has been opened but work on it has not begun. We’re working hard to get through the carryover inventory. Please don’t file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.

cnps1958
Returning Member

I filed my taxes with turbo tax in February I paid the fees. I only received my state taxes back and when I go to the turbo tax website they tell you how to fix your return if you get rejected but I’ve done that 7 times and it is still being rejecting can turbo tax help me another way

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies