turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Where is the portal to enter direct deposit info for stimulus check

From the IRS web site updated today  :  https://www.irs.gov/

IRS SCREEN.pngirs non filers.pngirs non filers 2.pngirs  filers .png

• Where is portal for direct deposit for stimulus

@Yevonnebowen wrote:
  • Where is portal for direct deposit for stimulus

There is not a portal to update your bank account for the third stimulus.

IRS website for third stimulus FAQ's - https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment-frequently-asked-questions#bank

If your bank information is invalid or the account has been closed, the bank will return your payment to the IRS and we will mail it to you by check at the address we have on file.

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

There is no portal as we saw last year.

This IRS FAQ My payment was mailed but my post office was unable to deliver it. states:

Once we receive your payment back, you may be able to provide your bank account information in Get My Payment to have your payment reissued as a direct deposit.

If this is the case, then Get My Payment will show “Need More Information,” usually two to three weeks after the payment is issued. At this point, you can enter a routing and account number for your bank account, prepaid debit card or alternative financial product that has a routing and account number associated with it.

If you do not provide account information, your payment will be reissued when we receive an updated address.

If you need to update your address, the easiest way to do it is by filing your 2020 tax return with your current address, if you haven’t already done so. The fastest way to file the return and update your address is to file the return electronically.

For other ways to update your address with the IRS, see How do I notify the IRS my address has changed? 

What we do not know is how quickly the IRS will update your stimulus information after your 2020 Federal 1040 tax return is filed, accepted and refund issued.

Follow the TurboTax COVID Tax Center and the IRS Economic Impact Payment Information Center as further developments are received from the IRS.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Sweetlove
Returning Member

How can i update my bank info and phone number 

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Get My Payment is the portal to update information, but the only people able to make changes are those who log in and get the message Need More Information. Those people will be able to use the tool to give the IRS bank information.

The IRS will use data already in its systems to send the third stimulus payments. Taxpayers with direct deposit information on file will receive the payment that way. Those without current direct deposit information on file will receive the payment as a check or debit card in the mail.

I would like to how to put it in

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

This link continues to be updated as information becomes available.  This information is provided by the IRS - Third Stimulus FAQ  

so why do they have that up if it's not ready 

Yes, you are correct, many of our customers are experiencing delays in receiving their stimulus or updating their bank account information due to the IRS not answering the phone and their online tools not working as expected.  This is true for all taxpayers including those using private tax professionals and other software companies.   As our customers continue to have questions regarding the Economic Impact Payments (EIP), we’re continuing to work with the IRS for guidance. We’re updating our customer and expert-facing articles with information as soon as we get it.

You can update your bank account directly with the IRS.  They use the last known bank account (from your tax return) but you can change it after you file.   Here is information about how to tell the IRS about your direct deposit if you wish to change it. 

Please see the following link about late payments: What if my IRS refund is taking longer than 21 days?

Here is an FAQ with updated links and information:  Review the new FAQs in the article, How will the third stimulus impact me? 

@Sweetie

hoodj9902

I need to add my banking information for my federal my federal income tax I've already filed

When will it up and runing

@hoodj9902 - once it's filed it can't be changed.  there is no portal to change it. 

I have to use the portal before with the 2 stimulus check and it wants to the account I put and they say that account that I put in was sent to theirs but they are still trying to put it in my old account

Here is a link to the TurboTax portal to enter direct deposit info for stimulus check.

In January 2020, during the distribution of the second round of stimulus payments, an IRS error caused delays in the distribution of some stimulus payments. In an effort to do all that we could to help these customers get the funds they deserved as quickly as possible, we were able to create a secure portal used to update banking information.

Here is what you should expect if you provided information in the secure portal.

• If you filed your 2020 tax return and it has been processed by the IRS, your stimulus will be sent to the account you provided in that return.
  • If you provided updated banking information via the TurboTax Stimulus Portal for the second stimulus, that information was given to the IRS so they could deposit a third stimulus payment in that account.
  • If a bank account the IRS has on file is closed and your bank rejects the payment, the IRS will either:
  • Deposit your stimulus check into the bank account you entered into the TurboTax portal, or
  • Send your stimulus by check to the address they have on file for you within 14 days.

If this applies to you, you can get updated information on how you can expect to receive your stimulus payment. If the IRS reissues a payment, they will update the status no more than once a day at: IRS Get My Payment

@hoodj9902

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies