turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lrayh82

How do I amend a return to file separately?

I filed my wife's and my taxes jointly and then realized I need to file separate for other reasons. I know I must amend. So do both my wife and I file a 1040X or do I file the 1040X and my wife files a new normal return?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You both must file amended returns using Form 1040-X.  And note that when changing from a joint return to separate returns that the amended return must be filed by 4/15/17.

View solution in original post

11 Replies

You both must file amended returns using Form 1040-X.  And note that when changing from a joint return to separate returns that the amended return must be filed by 4/15/17.

lrayh82

Thank you for your response. So the problem is if I send 2 amended returns it shows I owe twice as much because both amended returns show negative. But in reality the amended result should be half of that amount. Not sure if I am making since. IE: Joint file refund is 5000 amended returns normally equal the same amount of 5000 but instead because I am going from one return to two returns it shows us owing 5000.

No, the amended returns will not be the same in total as the original.  MFS tax rules differ and the tax rate for MFS is higher than the rate for MFJ.  MFS is the WORST tax filing status in the tax law.  It should only be used in the most stringent of circumstances.  I avoid it at almost all costs.
lrayh82

In our case it is the same, but for things like student loans it helps to file separately which I forgot when I filed us jointly. When filed separately and I tested this under new accounts i would get 500 and she would get 4500. In the joint filing we ended up 5000 +- a few dollars. So the IRS has a single filing ofr a refund of 5000. I amend my return now shows I owe IRS 4500 because of the difference from the first return and it shows my wife owing 500. The problem is that the difference calculation is happening for each of use which causes the problem. 1 return difference calculated to 2 returns makes it twices as negative. Its a calculation problem so I'm not sure what to do. Thats the reason I asked the original question of just one of us is supposes to file the 1040x because then the difference calculations would be 1 to 1 and the new return would make up the cost difference. Disregard the differences in taxes MJ and MS I need to know how to get around the calculation problem.

I suggest you read the rules about using the MFS filing status in Publication 501:  <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/publications/p501/ar02.html#en_US_2016_publink1000220762">https://www.irs.gov/pu...>
lrayh82

Unfortunately that doesn't help. I've looked it over. Like I said this is a calculation issue. This is a rare case where the return goes from one return to 2 returns and it makes the difference calculations not balance out.

When you prepared the amended return, did you split the refund shown on the original return between the two amended returns or did you put a refund on $5,000 on each amended return?
lrayh82

Can I split it. I didn't know if that was allowed. I thought it had to be exactly what was on the original return. So do I split all the amounts in half.

A joint return is just that -- one return covering both of you.  The tax or refund shown belongs to both of you.  Splitting it is the proper method for allocating it to the individual returns.
lrayh82

Thank you that was the answer I was looking for I think.

Irayh82, did it work out okay for you that you both filed amended returns and split the amount that was originally refunded on original return between 2 amended returns? I am in the exact same boat...we filed jointly and now want to change it to separate and I'm wondering if this is the right way to do it.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies