turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

chip5322

I updated 1 form, renamed file & saved. Should decline to save at close? Will that dump original file or just changes? I want compare the original and updated. Help!

Based on the how the question is asked when you close out, it opens the possibility that you will delete the entire file if you don't answer "save". I presume TT is like most programs and will retain previously saved work but, because it doesn't ask "save changes" but rather asks "save file" it is confusing with regard to what might happen if you choose not to save file. Am I losing just the K-1 I changed, or am I deleting the file named and saved by the program? . In my case I renamed the file (adding numbers representing the date and the end of the program named file) and intended to  go back and compare the input of a particular K-1 from my work back in March and the updated K-1 sent to me Sept 26th. Simply don't want to wipeout the original work from March. I presume TT reverts to last save work of a file name but...

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
Carl
Level 15

I updated 1 form, renamed file & saved. Should decline to save at close? Will that dump original file or just changes? I want compare the original and updated. Help!

Just cancel out and then FILE - SAVE AS so you can change the name of the file if desired.
chip5322

Worked Thanks! I thought that was how it should work. I guess I just needed someone to tell me so. Thanks again!

When you make changes in the downloaded version the changes are only saved when you choose to save them.  The save will overwrite the file of the same name so if you want to save the return in various states of completion you will need to change the file name somewhat to differentiate the files from each other and preserve each file. So if you use the "save as" option you can make as many different files/versions that you want to but be very careful to file the correct return ... that you file the finished return and not an earlier one.

One way to do this is 2016 version 1, 2016 version 2, 2016 version 3...  or    2016 income only, 2016 income + deductions,  2016 as filed,  etc....

chip5322

Thanks! I appreciate the full explanation Very nice of you to take time to answer. Essentially I did as you explained. That was how I thought it should work, just needed someone  to confirm it. Thanks again!

No it won't delete any saved files.  You return ends in .tax2016.  If you don't save then it should not save the changes you made but the first file will still be there.  If you want to try different things you should do File-Save As and save it with another name.  Then you can have multiple copies.  But name them so you can keep them straight.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies