carolinaman08

When to claim Recovery Rebate Credit... 2020 or 2021

I filed my 2020 taxes in march of 2021, I received a stimulus check (Recovery Rebate Credit- RRC) in April 2021.  Do I need to amend my 2020 tax return to reflect the RRC check?

No, you do not amend your tax return for receiving the third stimulus payment from the IRS.

When you prepare your 2021 tax return next year you will be asked if you received the 3rd stimulus check.   There was no place to enter anything about the 3rd stimulus check on a 2020 tax return.   And if you made a mistake on your 2020 tax return pertaining to either the 1st or 2nd EIP payment, the IRS has been cross checking every return with an amount on line 30 for those payments, so they will catch mistakes made for the 1st or 2nd payments.