turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ebrownsd

When is it advisable to recalculate my 2016 return as part of doing my 2017 taxes, when I DID pay alt min tax in 2016?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anita01

When is it advisable to recalculate my 2016 return as part of doing my 2017 taxes, when I DID pay alt min tax in 2016?

The short explanation is that it is advisable for you to recalculate if you have a large potentially taxable state tax refund that you received in the current calendar year.  

You cannot just assume that none of your refund of state tax is taxable in the current year if your paid any AMT at all in the prior year.  You would need to do this recalculation to determine the amount of the deduction that failed to benefit you due to AMT, in order to exclude any of the refund from taxation this year.   If you received a very large state tax refund from the prior year tax return, going through this pretty elaborate calculation can possibly lower the tax you owe on that refund received during the current calendar year.

To provide a little more detail, the calculation is intended to determine the amount of your prior year state and local tax deduction that actually ended up not benefiting you because you paid AMT.  While the full amount of your deduction is added back for AMT, it may have only been responsible for a portion of your AMT owed.

When you receive a refund from the state in 2017, the full amount of that refund is considered as taxable income to you because it is assumes you benefited in the prior year from the deduction.  If you paid AMT, however, that deduction amount was added back to your income to calculate the amount of AMT you owed, if any.  It's entirely possible, though, that only a portion of that addback contributed to your AMT.  For example, the deduction was $5,000 but your total AMT paid was only $4,000.  

The recalculation exercise can determine how much the addback of the state tax deduction actually cost you in terms of AMT.  That portion of the deduction that actually caused a higher AMT, can be a nontaxable portion of your state refund this year.

View solution in original post

56 Replies

I paid AMT in 2016 and will do so again in 2017. I suppose there is no value to recalculating the benefit in 2016, since in 2017 my state tax refund will be deducted from my income for AMT purposes?
Anita01

The short explanation is that it is advisable for you to recalculate if you have a large potentially taxable state tax refund that you received in the current calendar year.  

You cannot just assume that none of your refund of state tax is taxable in the current year if your paid any AMT at all in the prior year.  You would need to do this recalculation to determine the amount of the deduction that failed to benefit you due to AMT, in order to exclude any of the refund from taxation this year.   If you received a very large state tax refund from the prior year tax return, going through this pretty elaborate calculation can possibly lower the tax you owe on that refund received during the current calendar year.

To provide a little more detail, the calculation is intended to determine the amount of your prior year state and local tax deduction that actually ended up not benefiting you because you paid AMT.  While the full amount of your deduction is added back for AMT, it may have only been responsible for a portion of your AMT owed.

When you receive a refund from the state in 2017, the full amount of that refund is considered as taxable income to you because it is assumes you benefited in the prior year from the deduction.  If you paid AMT, however, that deduction amount was added back to your income to calculate the amount of AMT you owed, if any.  It's entirely possible, though, that only a portion of that addback contributed to your AMT.  For example, the deduction was $5,000 but your total AMT paid was only $4,000.  

The recalculation exercise can determine how much the addback of the state tax deduction actually cost you in terms of AMT.  That portion of the deduction that actually caused a higher AMT, can be a nontaxable portion of your state refund this year.

mpilloff

Makes sense. What I don't get is why can't TurboTax do this calculation for me?
Anita01

It's extremely rare for a customer to choose to do this so we don't support the calculation.  Most taxpayers who owe AMT don't have state refunds.
BrettMan2

I really wish that TurboxTax would do this calculation. I've had to do this just about every year.

To fill out the "Recovery Exclusion from AMT", the help file gives a complicated process to recompute 2016 taxes.  For 2018 taxes it offers "Computation of Recovery Exclusion" Worksheet, which can be done using 2017 data.  Where is it?
Anita01

isn't that underlined in blue?  I assume you mean for 2017 taxes?  Are you using the Desktop CD version?

I am using the Desktop CD version.  Yes, it is underlined in blue.  When I click on it, the help window changes to give instructions for using a "Computation of Recovery Exclusion [Worksheet?]", but the form does not change. I already have the State and Local Income Tax Refund Worksheet open, and it refers to 2016 amounts to compute the amount of 2016 refunds to enter on F1040, line 10 for 2017.  I was expecting to use 2017 amounts to get the F1040 line 10 amount to use in 2018.  The instructions imply this, e.g., line 1 of the worksheet is taken from Schedule A, line 5 (state income tax deduction), i.e., 2017 data.  Line 3 of the worksheet wants your 2017 state tax refund (the amount that could show up on F1040, line 10 in 2018).
Anita01

The worksheet should appear under Schedule A on the list of forms on the right if you are using the Desktop program.  If you don't see it, scroll down all the way to the bottom.  It'll be lower down if not yet used.  You can also try typing REC in the search window above the list of forms.
Anita01

I meany list of Forms on the left

Thanks!  It is not in the list of forms, but if you click on Open Form at the top of the list of forms, another window opens to Search or Browse the list of forms.  Entering REC, as you suggested, did the trick.  The Search or Browse window shows the form as Recovery Exclusion, and when you open it, it is called Computation of Recovery Exclusion For State Income Tax Deduction, as given in the original help topic.  Even after opening it, it does not show up in the list of forms.
Anita01

After you fill it out and close it, does it then appear in the list of forms anywhere, even down near the bottom?

After closing it, it does show up in the list of forms, 3 lines below Schedule A.
Anita01

ok, thanks for responding
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies