Solved: When I filed my taxes last year, I was to get a refund of roughly $600. This year though, it looks like I owe more than $1400 dollars. Can someone explain this to me?

flomega

When I filed my taxes last year, I was to get a refund of roughly $600. This year though, it looks like I owe more than $1400 dollars. Can someone explain this to me?

viktoriyab11

You only get a refund if you paid more in taxes throughout the year than you were legally responsible for.  If you paid the right amount, you'd get no refund, and if you paid too little, you would owe.

On W-2 Form Line 2 you can see your Federal withheld for the year.

On 1040 TAX TABLES (2017) you can see how much taxes you have to pay on your income.

Why did my refund go down from last year?

Hope its help.

viktoriyab11

Hope its help.