Solved: When I filed my taxes last year, I was to get a refund of roughly $600. This year though, it looks like I owe more than $1400 dollars. Can someone explain this to me?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
flomega

When I filed my taxes last year, I was to get a refund of roughly $600. This year though, it looks like I owe more than $1400 dollars. Can someone explain this to me?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
viktoriyab11

When I filed my taxes last year, I was to get a refund of roughly $600. This year though, it looks like I owe more than $1400 dollars. Can someone explain this to me?

You only get a refund if you paid more in taxes throughout the year than you were legally responsible for.  If you paid the right amount, you'd get no refund, and if you paid too little, you would owe.

On W-2 Form Line 2 you can see your Federal withheld for the year.

On 1040 TAX TABLES (2017) you can see how much taxes you have to pay on your income.

Why did my refund go down from last year?

Hope its help.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
viktoriyab11

You only get a refund if you paid more in taxes throughout the year than you were legally responsible for.  If you paid the right amount, you'd get no refund, and if you paid too little, you would owe.

On W-2 Form Line 2 you can see your Federal withheld for the year.

On 1040 TAX TABLES (2017) you can see how much taxes you have to pay on your income.

Why did my refund go down from last year?

Hope its help.

View solution in original post

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings