spearsjm

When I add that I have received the first the stimulus check, it adds it to my refund again. Why??

NCperson

can you explain more 

how much was your 1st stimulus payment? 

What is your family situation on your 2020 tax return? (adults  at $1200 and children at $500)? 

look at line 30 of the tax return.  what is there? 

spearsjm

I cannot see line 30 as I have not paid yet. I(we) got $1200 first stim check and now $1200 second check. As I do my taxes the running totals for taxes owed and/or refunded change. As soon as I enter the $1200 my refund jumps $1200. Married filing joint. No dependents. 

NCperson

first make sure you are only entering the 1st payment; TT is not yet set up to accommodate the 2nd payment

if you are married filing joint you were eligible for $2400 of stimulus but if you only received $1200, then yes, that would increase your refund.