tias231

When filing a 1040x, should I add a stimulus wage ($1200) on my updated w2? Or should I put $0 because it was added on my old w2?

The first stimulus was added to my original incorrect w2.
Updated w2 is asking for a stimulus wage and wants a 1200, or a 0!
JamesG1

Are you amending a 2020 Federal 1040 tax return to receive one or both of the first two stimulus checks?  I do not understand adding or subtracting some amount to a W-2.  The IRS compares what is reported on your tax return as W-2 wages against the amounts reported by the employer.  Changing an amount on a W-2 could delay the processing of your tax return.

Please clarify.

If you have not received one or both of your stimulus checks, you will receive your payment in the form of a Recovery Rebate Credit on line 30 of your 2020 Federal tax return when you file.

TurboTax will compare your one or two stimulus payment amounts to the computations within TurboTax.  The computations within TurboTax are based upon the information that you have entered into the tax software.  If you are due an additional amount, it will be issued as a Recovery Rebate Credit (RRC) on line 30 of the 2020 1040 tax return.

If you have e-filed your 2020 Federal tax return and the tax return is accepted by the IRS, you will have to amend your 2020 Federal tax return and correct the entries and calculations to receive the Recovery Rebate Credit.

In TurboTax Online, you are prompted to input stimulus check 1 and stimulus check 2 information under Review down the left hand side of the screen.  You may also access your stimulus check choices by following these steps: 

• Down the left side of the screen, click on Federal.
  • Across the top of the screen, click on Other Tax Situations.
  • At the screen Let’s keep going to wrap up.  Click on Let’s keep going.
  • At the screen Let’s make sure you got the right stimulus amount, click Continue.
  • At the screen Did you get a stimulus payment? you can update your stimulus check entries.

tias231

Answer: When filing a 1040x Amendment, any Stimulus wage you've received on the original W2 will count toward your updated W2! If you've received the $1200 and $600 stimulus, put those numbers into the dedicated boxes (you've received that amount)! If you have not received a given wage, put $0 in the given boxes! 

tias231

Thank you for replying to my question! It was difficult to explain, all good now!