bendhed

What recourse (i.e. legal) does a taxpayer have when tax liable because employer never provided a W-2 until a notice, CP2000, from the IRS 2 years after timely filing?

I filed my 2018 individual return unaware of the existence of another W-2 from my employer that is also my current employer.  However, two years after filing my return I received a notice of deficiency, CP2000, for taxes owed as a result of the additional W-2 and previously received refund.  I have reached out to my employer to find a remedy, but they are unable to assist and asked me to speak to my tax advisor.  I understand I am liable for the balance but it is my employer's responsibility to provide a W-2 by January 31 of each subsequent tax year.  Something that was not even done until I reached out for an explanation as to why the IRS notified me of a change.  The total cost to resolve this issue is going to cost me not only the tax liability but tax service fees, interest and penalties for the balance owed to the IRS.  Is there a recourse, including a legal one, for such a situation?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Anonymous
Not applicable

this is an income tax forum. you're asking a legal question. see a lawyer.  however, how could you not know that you were missing a tax document for the compensation you received?