dmomberg

What if the information from the purchase of my home (over 30 years ago) is not available? I can not find the paperwork

MichaelMc

I am assuming that you are trying to establish your basis in the home. If you do not have your original documents, there are some possible solutions.

If the law firm of the attorney who handled you settlement is still in business, it is worth a call to determine if the firm still has your file. While not required to retain records forever, you will find that many attorneys are too busy to ever dispose of their old files.

The next best possibility is your county Recorder of Deeds or Records Office. Every deed and every mortgage becomes a part of the permanent county records and is accessible. While it may not provide the exact basis of your home, it will contain the purchase price, which is a very good starting place for re-creating basis.