turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Patryk P
Returning Member

What happened to my refund. 92% less.

I filed my taxes with turbo tax for years, and this year was no different. I did it over a month ago and was supposed to get my refund on the 20th of April. But things didn't go the way they always did. Today I check my bank and instead of my $1656 I got $158.....? I payed $98 for the stupid fee I NEVER had to pay for before, I am unemployed and a student. I've been waiting on my tax return and I got scammed. I WANT TO KNOW WHERE MY MONEY WENT. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
Ranchez

Same thing happened to me. Refund $3,550 (minus fees) got 745 instead. This scam that TT is playing has just lost them my business - period!

The difference is 1400.  That is the 3rd Stimulus payment.  You must have had 1400 on 1040 line 30 for the Recovery Rebate Credit.  But the IRS shows they already sent it to you.  Line 30 is only if you didn't get the full amount or qualify for more. 

Did you get IRS letter 6475 saying what they sent you?  check your bank statements and check your IRS account to see when and what they sent you.

Your Online Account | Internal Revenue Service

If the IRS thinks they sent it to you but you didn't get it request a trace for a missing third Stimulus payment

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/questions-and-answers-about-the-third-economic-impact-payment-topic-j-p...Your Online Account | Internal Revenue Service

@Ranchez   Your difference is 2800.  Same answer as above.  That is the 3rd Stimulus payment for 2 people.  Line 30 is only if you didn't get the full amount or qualify for more. 

Double check your bank statements and check your IRS account to see what they sent you.  Check both IRS accounts if married.

Your Online Account | Internal Revenue Service

If the IRS thinks they sent it to you but you didn't get it request a trace for a missing third Stimulus payment

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/questions-and-answers-about-the-third-economic-impact-payment-topic-j-p...Your Online Account | Internal Revenue Service

@Patryk P 

Does the IRS website indicate that you were sent less than what was reported on your federal tax return Form 1040 Line 34? - https://www.irs.gov/refunds

If your refund is short $1,400 then that is because you said you did not receive the 3rd stimulus payment and the IRS has records that show you were sent the 3rd stimulus payment so they removed the $1,400 Recovery Rebate Credit that was entered on Form 1040 Line 30.

Go to this IRS website for your tax account to see if the 3rd stimulus payment is entered - https://www.irs.gov/payments/your-online-account

If you checked your bank account in the March - May 2021 timeframe and there is not a $1,400 EIP3 payment from the IRS then go to this IRS website for how to start a trace on the payment - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/questions-and-answers-about-the-third-economic-impact-payment-topic-j-p...

If you requested to have the TurboTax account fees paid from your federal tax refund, there was a $39 service charge for that option from the third party processor who receives the federal tax refund, deducts the TurboTax account fees and their service charge, then deposits the remaining refund to your account.  The service charge was shown on the screen where you selected the option to have the fees deducted from the federal tax refund.

If you use the TurboTax Deluxe online edition the fee for that edition is $59 and with the $39 service charge to process the refund that would total $98.

Patryk P
Returning Member

So I checked May of last year and I guess I did get the $1400 3rd stimulus check... Is this why its changed? if so then I understand and apologize for the inconvenience. In line 30 I did put in 1400

@Patryk P that's the reason.  many taxpayers have made the same error.

ozieboggs

Why is my refund much less than what is should be?  Should be 1402.00, got a littlte over 470.00?

@ozieboggs The IRS does not notify TT, but will be sending you a letter in the mail in 2-4 weeks.

@ozieboggs  - most common issues are the 3rd stimulus payment (look at Line 30 of your Form 1040 - did you already receive the 3rd stimulus payment and request it again on Line 30?) and adjustments for the advance child tax credit (did you get the advance and not reflect that on your return?)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies