What do i do after amending my taxes?

i filed my taxes wrong and missed out on 300 extra dollars. now ive amended the taxes from 2021 but do i have to re file or how do i know what i need to do next? have not received any money yet.

What do i do after amending my taxes?

@nenalatina100 - if you sent in the amendment, there is nothing more for you to do other than have patience.  The IRS is woefully backlogged.  Assume it will be 9-12 months from when you submitted the amendment until you get a response. 

What do i do after amending my taxes?

Do nothing until your originally filed return has finished processing and you have the original refund in hand.

henleyc940

What do i do after amending my taxes?

Only because I'm curious since I had to amend my taxes as I never received it the first time I'd done it in February and had to do it again in April. From what this sounds like, anyone who's amended their taxes will have to wait until next year to receive their refund. What would be the point in getting it then as the IRS will owe more people so I just want to confirm that 9-12 months time from is accurate or is waiting 16 weeks as the time frame they give you more correct? I just want an informative answer that isn't vague.

What do i do after amending my taxes?

It’s taking months to process tax returns 6-12,months for amended returns. 
The IRS is severely backlogged so there’s no telling when they will start to process your amended return. Don’t expect it any time soon . Sorry you have to deal with this delay, it’s crazy. 

What do i do after amending my taxes?

@henleyc940 - and here is my personal experience....I submitted an amendment in May, 2021 that was processed and resolved in early June, 2022..... 12.5 months.... if we hope things will get better as we move away from the pandemic, figure 9-12 months for an amendment...

henleyc940

What do i do after amending my taxes?

I honestly didn't have an issue getting my refund last year for 2020 when I filed in 2021. So I wasn't aware there were issues going on back then. This isn't an experience I've had to deal with until this year. And this was due to turbotax not prompting me to put my tax info in for my employer. It just went straight to the credit of did I earn the third stimulus which I know I didn't get because that was for those who were married and had children and I am not in that category. So for some reason, it just took that and I had to go back in and get the system to prompt like it should for me to add my info from my employer for 2021. I don't know why it skipped it the first time around but that wasn't my fault. I just thought it was odd it skipped that. And now I'm having to wait for that to be processed. If I didn't hate filing taxes before, I sure as hell hate it now. -_-;

What do i do after amending my taxes?

You should know you have to report all your income.  Did you get a W2?  Don't know how you skipped that part.  And the 3rd Stimulus payment was not just for married with children.  Single can get it, even with no income.  Don't know what you're thinking of.   Same for the EIC earned income credit.  

The 3rd Stimulus payment started going out in March 2021 and is for 1,400 for each person listed on your tax return, no age limit. The IRS used your 2020 (or 2019) return to send the checks out fast. If your 2021 return changes and you qualify for more you can claim the extra as the Recovery Rebate Credit on 1040 line 30. But line 30 is only if you didn't get the full amount or qualify for more. Not the amount you already got. The IRS also sent out letter 6475 to tell you how much they sent you . If you are married then each spouse should get a letter for half.

What do i do after amending my taxes?

If you knew you had a W-2 to enter and the program did not ask for it but you filed the return anyway without that income  then you have only yourself to blame ... when you use a DIY program you are responsible for filing a true and accurate return.  Going forward, no matter which tax program you use,  always review the return carefully before you file it to avoid issues later.  I highly suggest you "sleep on it" and review it again later with fresh eyes before you hit the submission button.  

And the third stimulus was issued to everyone who qualified even if you did not have kids.  So the question on the advance child tax credits payments (for those who did have dependents)  was asked to everyone this year since the program cannot deduce if you got any CTC advance in 2021 based off the info on the 2021 return.  

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing