turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gregblitz17
Returning Member

Were my taxes filed to the State and Federal government?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

This is a duplicate thread.   Please see the info I left you in your other thread at the link below.    You can continue the discussion there, if necessary.   Duplicate threads can lead to confusion and redundancy.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/after-you-file/discussion/were-my-taxes-filed-properly-back-in-apr...

gregblitz17
Returning Member

Well it looks like maybe the e-file button timed out and this was the first time using Turbo Tax and I had set up the cc to pay my federal and listed my bank info for direct deposit for my state return. I thought everything was all set and I filed on April 13 and it looks like I didn't file on that date. Instead I filed today and it looks like I could be charged an additional 205 dollars due to filing over 60 days late. Is there anything I can do to try to get this waived. Again I thought it was e-filed on April 13th.

@gregblitz17 wrote:

Well it looks like maybe the e-file button timed out and this was the first time using Turbo Tax and I had set up the cc to pay my federal and listed my bank info for direct deposit for my state return. I thought everything was all set and I filed on April 13 and it looks like I didn't file on that date. Instead I filed today and it looks like I could be charged an additional 205 dollars due to filing over 60 days late. Is there anything I can do to try to get this waived. Again I thought it was e-filed on April 13th.

So did the efile status check tool I provided in your other thread, not find any evidence that you successfully efiled back in April?   And have you now successfully efiled, and it has now been accepted?
https://shop.turbotax.intuit.com/efile/efile_status_lookup.jsp

You'll get a bill for any penalty and interest.   The IRS will frequently abate a "first-time penalty" if you request such (but maybe not the interest), or if you convince them of other reasonable cause in your explanation.  I'd stress it being "first-time" (if so.)

The IRS says:

"The IRS may abate your penalties for filing and paying late if you can show reasonable cause and that the failure wasn't due to willful neglect. Making a good faith payment as soon as you can may help to establish that your initial failure to pay timely was due to reasonable cause and not willful neglect. If you're billed for penalty charges and you have reasonable cause for abatement of the penalty, send your explanation along with the bill to your service center, or call us at 800-829-1040 for assistance.  The IRS doesn't generally abate interest charges and they continue to accrue until all assessed tax, penalties, and interest are fully paid."

See this IRS article:  https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc653

You "might" be able to ask for abatement over the phone at the number above or by using the phone number on your bill when you receive it.  Stress it is a "first-time penalty"  (if it is.)   Let them guide you, and they'll tell you if they can handle it or if you need to submit the documents mentioned above.

Were your Federal taxes paid by credit card back in April, or did that not go through then, either?   You need to check to be sure you've paid.

gregblitz17
Returning Member

Yes no evidence of filing. I did file today and my taxes were not paid in April, but showed up on my pending on my credit card account today after I e-filed and they were accepted. It is the first time in my life that I have missed the tax deadline. Again I thought they were filed back on April 13th. How do I go about abating the fine?

gregblitz17
Returning Member

I will call the number tomorrow and see if someone cn help me with the abatement process.

Thank you.

Manage cookies